Search Our Site


Technician

Virtual Tour

A Healthy Home is a Happy Home Print E-mail

IS YOUR HOME MAKING YOU SICK?

 

Many of today's health problems can be caused by the home you live in, but why is that? If your home was built in the 1970's, when the energy crisis demanded that we build tighter, highly insulated "efficient" homes in order to reduce energy costs, then you may have a house that is making you sick.

These tighter, more energy efficient homes did away with the drafty houses of yore, and while that's good...it's also bad. A house that is too tight traps excessive moisture (such as from showers and cooking), and this excessive moisture causes several indoor air pollutant problems. Even today's newer and more energy efficient homes seem predisposed to the problem. These new "tighter" houses retain more humidity and airbourne pollutants, which causes longer life-spans and more productive cycles of microbial activity within the home, such as mold, germs, bacteria and viruses.

This longer life span and more productive reproduction of these airbourne contaminants leads to more allergic reactions, and sickness within families, for longer periods of time.

So how do you correct this problem. There are several things that can be done.

The first would be to bring in fresh air from outside, but how do you do that without bringing in the polluntants, heat or cold from outside? We use the Honeywell TrueFresh ventilation system or the Honeywell Energy Efficient Ventilation system. These units bring in fresh air from outside while recovering about 88% of the heating and cooling energy from within the home.

The second way, as we discussed previously in our "Fresher, Healthier Air" article is to install a whole house media or electronic air cleaner to your central heating or air conditioning system. These air cleaners trap airbourne pollutants such as pollen, mold spores, bacteria and viruses in the air and return cleaner air to your home.

The third way is with the use of ultraviolet or UV germicidal lights. Ultraviolet light in the "C" bad (UVC) has been used for more than 65 years to kill microorganisms in hospitals, meat and poultry facilities, laboratories, pharmaceutical plants, and the the nation's Center for Disease Control. Residential ultraviolet lights have been independently tested and proved to be effective for killing mold, viruses and bacteria quickly and effectively in the constantly moving air of heating and cooling systems. The UVC energy attacks the organism's DNA and either destroys it immediately or prevents it from reproducing. These UV germicidal lights also eliminated many hidden odors.

To find out what you can do to make your home healthier, and therefore happier, give us a call at 330-533-4363. Bob would be pleased to talk to you about what options would be best for your home.